• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FAR 103 and FAR 61/91 differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
This is a continuation of a thread from https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...new-technology/17581-part-103-question-9.html concerning operating a Light Sport Equivalent Aircraft as an Ultralight.

I will begin by pointing out that Ultralights do not need to comply with FAR Part 91 per the following, most other aircraft do: Note, this does not prevent ultralights from operating acording to Part 91 regulations so long as they also comply with Part 103.

[h=2]§91.1 Applicability.[/h](a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section and §§91.701 and 91.703, this part prescribes rules governing the operation of aircraft (other than moored balloons, kites, unmanned rockets, and unmanned free balloons, which are governed by part 101 of this chapter, and ultralight vehicles operated in accordance with part 103 of this chapter) within the United States, including the waters within 3 nautical miles of the U.S. coast.
(b) Each person operating an aircraft in the airspace overlying the waters between 3 and 12 nautical miles from the coast of the United States must comply with §§91.1 through 91.21; §§91.101 through 91.143; §§91.151 through 91.159; §§91.167 through 91.193; §91.203; §91.205; §§91.209 through 91.217; §91.221, §91.225; §§91.303 through 91.319; §§91.323 through 91.327; §91.605; §91.609; §§91.703 through 91.715; and §91.903.
(c) This part applies to each person on board an aircraft being operated under this part, unless otherwise specified.
(d) This part also establishes requirements for operators to take actions to support the continued airworthiness of each airplane.
[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34292, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91-257, 64 FR 1079, Jan. 7, 1999; Amdt. 91-282, 69 FR 44880, July 27, 2004; Amdt. 91-297, 72 FR 63410, Nov. 8, 2007; Amdt. 91-314, 75 FR 30193, May 28, 2010]

I will attach some of the comments from the prior thread for future comment and background information. Some of the following statements may not be factual.

I fly registered EAB's. Look at my Screen name N8053H, look it up. I fly these under the SP rule. My point is, they are really just ultralights even though the FAA calls them something different. I fly them like ultralights for I do not trust anything not Certified for flight.

In Canada what I fly is an ultralight. This is my point.

Tony
So I am flying against the rules.
I fly a registered EAB. I have my Student SP Certificate, but I stay out of all controlled airspace. I fly over corn and keep my airplane within 5 miles of my home airport. Please explain to everyone reading this how I am in violation of any FAR's or laws. This is very interesting.

You ask what country I live in?....really. Was this a serious question?

I do not trust two stroke ultralights. So I stepped up one step. So know I jump through a bunch of hoops to fly just as I did when I flew ultralights. In fact my buddies I fly with fly ultralights. I only fly on the days they are able to fly. Why not because I long for traffic in the air, but because this little EAB is not happy flying in any wind, its happy flying on the days a ultralight would fly..

My ultralight friends think I am nuts for taking lessons, paying registration fee's and just having to deal with the FAA at all. They are correct but I do not feel safe flying an ultralight. Others fly them without problems, this is not me, and I have purchased brand new ultralights and had major malfunctions within hours of flying them.

Don't call me an Outlaw for flying an EAB as an Ultralight. You can call me stupid, but not an outlaw.

Tony
What point I am trying to make: I fly a registered EAB just as an Ultralight and the world is not falling apart. There is no reason other then politics that keep these small single seat airplanes from being an ultralight.
There is no reason I need to know half the things I do like weather fronts and such to fly this EAB. I never had to know weather fronts and such to fly my ultralight and I never killed anyone or myself. Even though my airplanes tried to kill me more then once.
I fly with my ultralight friends. When they are flying I am above them flying right along or following. They fly lower right above the corn. I will not do this so I stay at 1000' But we are traveling the same speeds and getting thrown around by the same light winds, we go the same distance around 5 miles from home airport and fly the same amount of time around an hour.
If you put all this on paper one would think a quicksilver and a small eab are one in the same. Nothing but a .....Ultralight. do we call them that, no but it is what it is. My eab will never be a LSA one travels anywhere in. Its a close to home fair weather flying machine. Ultralight....

Tony
Flying an Ultralight or my EAB. Its a fool who flies when the weather is anything but perfect. I have had many a GA pilot shake their heads at me when they ask, why am I not flying and I say, to windy. They look at the tree's, at the windsock, then at me.

I do not need the weather man to tell me when to fly. I look out the window step outside and look around, for I am staying so close to my home airfield I can land in 5 mins. so I see the weather that effects me.

If I see dark clouds I do not fly, Those you speak of who flew that day made a bad decision to fly, if they could not see this when they left the ground, I doubt more training would help.

If a front is moving so fast to effect a 10 mile radius around your airfield the weather is bad. To bad to be flying a small aircraft such as we are speaking about here.

Its an attitude thing.

To Tony,

I hear your comments and will formulate a more comprehensive reply when I have the time. It will be under the Rules and Regulations section as I believe this post is off track from the original question about Part 103 weights. Meanwhile if you wish to give more information on your instructors and training I can be more specific. It appears you had a UL instructor that did not adequately cover Part 103 and airspace requirements and now have a CFI that is not familar with UL part 103. This is common and a problem for both part 103 pillots and Part 61/91 pilots since we both use the same airspace. Do you use a radio at all in your Fisher Avenger and if so how do you identify yourself?

Your aircraft looks like an airplane to me and also (I expect)to the general public. Is it true that you have never had the Avenger more than 1,200 feet above the surface or faster than 55 knots IAS in level flight? Can you really demonstrate slow flight at 27 knots CAS (not IAS)? It sounds as though you are still a student sport pilot. Do you get a new solo sign off each 90 days? Do you have the proper solo endorsements for the aircraft and flight areas? Do you always carry your current drivers license or passport with you when you fly? Do you always give way to alll other aircraft or do you follow the right of way rules specified in part 91? Do you only fly over unpopulated areas and avoid overflying fences and power poles? Do you sometimes overfly sparcely populated areas or stray over an occational fence or power pole? If so, what altitude do you maintain and why? Do you check the Airport Facility Directory to determine if Ultralights are prohibited? If they were prohibited, would you avoid flying into that airport? These are just a few of the questions you should be able to answer. You might also review them with you flight instructor.

Jedi

Back