• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

KitFox Vixen N37CD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Dearborn

Greetings -

Delighted to say hello. Started our KitFox Vixen in November 1996. N37CD took flight in 2001. Our Vixen behaves very well and we now have 32 hours on her and the FAA has certificated me as a repairman for N37CD.

After about a dozen hours the nose wheel system failed at the point where the "piston system" attaches to the strut. We sent the entire nose wheel system to SkyStar and the consensus was a failed cold weld. SkyStar replaced the nose gear system which now included a reinforced rossette welded inner steel rod to the nose wheel strut.

AVEMCO assigned an adjuster and a repair shop to make repairs. The repairs were made in short order.

Twenty hours later the nose gear failed again. The cause has been determined to be inadequate filing to the bearing through which the piston bolt assembly passes through.

AVEMCO's adjuster validated the claim and accepted Southland Aviation of Cartesville, Georgia as the repair facility. Southland aviation has been an absolute joy to work with.

The new nose gear assembly is being put together at this time. The important learning point for me was that the 1996 nose gear system would have benefited had a reinforcing rossette welded inner steel rod been installed. Also, SkyStar now uses a larger nose wheel, thus that coupled with the reinforcing rossette welded rod provides a good strong nose gear assembly. This was determined by an eronautical engineer to be sufficient.

The second learning point here is to file well the bearing that the nose gear piston bolt passes through. In effect the filing should accomplish a near hour glass profile allowing for movement of the nose gear piston bolt.

Our Vixen is powered by a fully rebuilt Lycoming 0-235 (L2C). B&C provided a much lighter alternator and starter. N37CD is GPS equipped with VOR and IFR capabilites. She is a neat flying machine weighing dry at 890 pounds.

For us, me and my wife Carol, this has been a rewarding experience complete with "humble" pie. It was our first go. SkyStar has been extremely helpful and caring. They are good folks.

I started flying in 1958 in a Beachcraft T-34. Went commercial and IFR during the late seventies.

Great to have such a forum as has been presented here.

Warmest regards,

Carol & Charles Dearborn

Back