• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Setting up a workshop right!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviast

Hi all,

I have the great fortune of having recently bought a house which came with a 2-car shed which will be the workshop for my impending Thatcher CX5 project. The shed is in decent condition; concrete floor with some oil drips and paint splashes, workbench down one side and a pegboard on the back wall (the previous owner had a business repairing carpet shampooers). I'd like to get it set up in a way that will make it easiest to work on my project and to keep tidy, but having not gone through this process before I have no idea what I would need to do to achieve that.

Some things I would like to do just to start:
  1. Paint the floor white - nothing fancy, just the concrete paint from the hardware store. I'll probably get a rubber "anti-fatigue" mat to throw down on this.
  2. Set up some storage to keep all the tools, materials, and bits'n'bobs in order. Not sure what sort of storage I'd need (have only just started acquiring tools).
  3. Wire up a powerpoint from the ceiling to remove one source of trip hazard and make it a bit easier to use power tools in the shed.
Any ideas, suggestions, "lessons learned", or workshop tales welcome!

Back