• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fabric-vs-Aluminum skin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugelsicher

Hello All!

I'm a newbie! Glad I found this forum. It is really cool! I have learned a lot already.

I am in the preliminary design stages for a tractor style, tail dragger Autogyro. At this point I am still trying to decide on materials.

I definitely want to use aluminum tubing (6061-T6), because of high strength to weight ratio. Aluminum tubing with gussets and CherryQ rivets should make a very strong airframe. However, I am undecided about the covering. I know that the AL skin will be heavier, but it should make the airframe even stronger, and I would not have to paint it, if I didn't want to. Also, I am comfortable working with sheet metal, and there is something reassuring about having that metal skin around you.

However, I do not want want to dismiss the possible use of a Fabric Covering System, such as PolyFiber or Hipec. The major advantage would be weight, and, possibly speed of build. There may be many other advantages, too, that I am unaware of.

I would appreciate any input on a comparison of the the two: AL skin -vs-Fabric.

What are the disadvantages of Fabric?

Thanks!! :)

Back