• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I know.. BF109 replica questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richter

Hey guys and gals

I wanted to say hi, I've been reading a lot of your topics and decided it'd be best if i were to join to ask some questions regarding a 109 kit plane.
I'm a finishing carpenter by trade with years and years experience of fine woodworking and such. I decided that I would like to start building my own plane and am looking for some opinions, options etc, as I'm in the planning stages of this project.

for starters, I see that W.A.R offers a kit, but I'm sorry... their website is horrible to try and navigate, so it's not much help as I haven't heard anything back regarding plans to purchase for thier 109 kit.

I'm having a difficult time trying to track down a complete set of plans to begin with, so please dont laugh and I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I've seen plans online for a 1:5 scale plan of the BF109, now would you be able to work with those if you were to rescale them to 100%? I understand that the construction on the frame is way different on a model plane as opposed to one that WAR does. a real plane needs to account for added weight from the pilot, fuel.. etc.

I have to find the link, but there was a guy on here that I was reading that was getting an overload of questions regarding the integrity of his 109. I'm rather curious as to why his design wouldn't work. He used fiberglass for the inside of his fuselage, foamed the exterior and I'm guessing he was planning on skinning it with fiberglass as well. It does sound to be rather heavy as someone asked about it being a plug. With that being said, I do have quite a bit of fiberglassing experience and would that be a better approach to building the plane?

I do appreciate the help, I'm probably going to spend the year in researching this project before I start, but any direction would be great!

thanks again,

Mike

Back