• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Connecting antenna ground to sheet metal/ground plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveR

I'm hoping to install an external COM antenna next weekend, but I'm wondering what an acceptable ground connection is. The radiating element will be a 24" brass rod mounted to the belly of the plane. I'm guessing a typical bolt/lug next to this rod for the ground might be too lossy for a high-frequency connection like this, or is that only a factor on the "signal" wire?

If I solder the RG-58 outer braid to a lug, then bolt the lug to the (cleaned & sanded) ground plane/sheet metal on the belly, will this be an adequate connection? Is there a better way to attach the ground? The rest of the airframe is not (intentionally) grounded to the electrical system at any point.

Back