• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FAA and External Cameras..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

I designed a mount for a GoPro that I have been testing and refining for a few years. I originally designed it to mount to my Hanglider, but when I started flying Power, I modified the design to also work with a Cessna Wing Strut. My design is much different than any of the others out there currently and I filed a provisional patent. It can also be used on other items as well such as Motorcycles, mountain bikes, roll bars on race cars,ATVs and boats and such, but my main question is with how the FAA will see the mount. I know on an experimental, we can get away with it easier, but on a certified aircraft that may be a different story. I know most will just use it anyhow, but I have been getting some questions from commercial pilots and thought I would see what people here say.

I was told (possibly wrongly) that so long as the mount I designed did not require any modifications to be made to the structure or did not interact with any existing holes or require the removal of any bolts or features to affix the mount and also it had to be Semi permanent and it did not affect the flying characteristics of the airplane then it did not require an STC or Aproval. Now I know this is within reason and common sense and I am not going to try and adapt a watermelon sized object to the strut. What I have is quick on and off and is very low profile and low drag and much smaller frontal drag then the actual Gopro itself. I have been flying with it for over a year now on a Cessna 172N I rent and never had a single incident and it never even loosened in any way. It has also been on a 182 at 150kts without any issues as well. Video performance and vibration issues are quite good.

In the April 2011 AOPA mag they mention that external mounts for small cameras such as the GoPro may fall under a "Minor Alteration" and may require a Logbook entry. They mention its sort of a grey area right now, but for inside the cockpit Part 91 allows it. If a logbook entry were required would it be from an A&P and would it need to be entred by an A&P each time it is installed? Being a renter and not owning a plane myself I want people in my shoes to be able to install it and use it without asking an A&P every time. My local rental location has an A&P on staff as the Mechanic and he looked it over and had no qualms with me using it and wants to purchase one from me as well.

If I wanted to go the route of getting the OK from the FAA through testing and jumping through hoops how would I do that? Asside from needing a wheelbarrow of money.. :)

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Marc

Back