• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help with FAA certification rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prosafetypilot

Here's the story:
I was given a Tierra (T-bird) recently by my grandfather. The airplane is in good shape but old and doesn't appear to have any damage except for one bent wing tube from storage. My plan is to tear down the airplane almost entirely and build it back up with all new hardware and rebuild or replace the engine (haven't decided yet) The plane is almost certainly over the "254lb" rule I believe once everything is installed and flight worthy so my question is this...

Is there a way to certify my airplane IF I am not the original builder BUT am tearing it down completely for a rebuild and will create a build log on the rebuild?:ermm: I would like to certify is because I am a licensed pilot and would really like to keep current on my rating without operating a expensive cessna or beech...

I have put in a call to the Atlanta FAA FDSO and awaiting a call back but nothing yet...:tired:

Back