• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Borate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohioflyer

Hi everyone.

I'm getting ready to start building hopefully this summer. One of the main things that concerns me about building in wood is rot. My father is currently restoring a wooden boat. The preservation meathod he uses is borate, its enviornmentally friendly and I'm told rot cannot survive in a structure that is permeated with it. It is carried into the wood grain in a water solution. He then coats the wood with a speacially formulated penetrating epoxy so the borate cannot then be washed back out.

It seems to me that this process could be used on homebuilts as well. I'm told the borate alone will not affect glue adhesion at all (because it is basically a fine powder in the wood cells), but I'm not sure about the penetrating epoxy and how it would affect glueing. The wieght penalty should be small, and the varnish used to seal the wood would only serve to stabilize the moisture content in the wood. With this system even if the miosture content rose to the level where rot could take hold it would not be able to...

All that being said I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this for our application, so any and all insight would be greatly appreciated. A lot of you guys are a lot smarter and more experienced than I.

Thanks
Ed

Back