• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I am over weight....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N8053H

Since my plane is in for her yearly condition inspection I am once again getting ready to do a W/B.

I was just looking through my paper work from last years W/B and was thinking maybe I should address this issue.

My airplane has a Gross wieght of 600 lbs. I fly mine at around 640 lbs. Should I be concerned about this or just keep doing what I have been doing, meaning flying this airplane the way she is?

This is a Fisher Avenger with 1/2 VW. The problem is this. Before I purchased this bird someone added a starter. This makes the nose heavy. The tail had to have weight or balst added to counter the starter. Of course a 14 lbs battery had to be added to. I have flown this airplane for almost 95 hrs this way, but she is a pig or heavy. I can tell even though I have never flown her any other way. I can tell she is heavy.

Should I remove the Starter, fly wheel, battery, and electrical cables and learn to hand prop this bird?

Or should I leave it as is and just fly her heavy?

I do have one other option, go on a diet myself and loose around 50 lbs, but then I would weigh in at 140 lbs. I could stand to loose maybe 25 lbs, and am working on it, but that still willl not be enough.

Thoughts?

Back