• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

No transponder/no electrical system under a mode C veil...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveR

My Pietenpol has no electrical system, and so no transponder, however I am fairly close to DFW airspace (actually I live in the surface class B). I know I can operate under the mode C veil, as long as I don't actually enter class B. However, what are the formalities that apply? Reading the AOPA and EAA websites, it sounds like there is no paperwork involved (or at least they don't mention it). However the FARs say:

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/FAC/Ch5/s0504.html#5-4-2

1. Approvals to deviate from the Mode C requirement by operators of aircraft without transponders shall be issued by the facility AT manager or his/her designee.

2. Authorizations may be issued for a single event or on a continuing basis.

(a) Single-event authorizations may be issued verbally or in a letter to the proponent.

(B) Long term authorizations must be issued in writing by the appropriate facility AT manager or his/her designee. In cases involving another facility's airspace or fringe airports, the authorization should be incorporated into a LOA. Multi-signature LOAs should be used in situations involving two or more individual operators.

I don't know how difficult it is to get either waiver. The single event waiver must be done at least an hour in advance. I need the permanent waiver however. I called the FSDO, the guy I spoke to didn't really seem to understand my question and told me I needed to write a letter to someone else.

How common is it to fly under the veil with no transponder/no electrical system without getting permission first? I intend to get the waiver, but it is going to be a while until I figure out who I need to talk to and actually work out all of the details. If I fly the plane into a class D airport before I have the waiver, am I going to make anyone mad, or is that something that is acceptable? I have spoken to pilots who do just that and didn't think it was a big deal at all. One said he called first and they acted like the didn't know why he was asking.

Thanks for any input!

Back