• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Airworthiness Certificate: Change of Engine and Max Gross Weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Some questions about US Experimental Rules: If I buy a completed E-AB aircraft (Repairman's Certificate (RC) issued to original builder), and I want to change the engine to one of higher HP (to allow a higher Max Weight--the structure of the aircraft is strong enough to allow it, it's just an issue of attaining safe climb):
1) Do I need to obtain a new Special Airworthiness Certificate (new engine, changed W/B due to engine weight change, etc). If so, I assume this involves another restricted flight test period, right?
2) If I'm getting a new airworthiness certificate, can I modify the max allowable gross weight at that time (and test the aircraft at the new higher MTOW during the test period)?
3) If I go through this, would it likely be possible to obtain a repairman's certificate for the aircraft (after demonstrating knowledge of the aircraft's systems and construction sufficient to allow me to maintain it safely)? Or, did the issue of the original RC associated with this tail number preclude that?

Thanks for any assistance.

Mark

Back