• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Question about 4130 truss fuselage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveC

HI

I am new to the forum so this is my first question. I am looking at purchasing a restoration project as my next project. I have built two wood and fabric aircraft so am fairly familiar with aircraft construction.
The project was involved in a hanger fire a few years ago and the wooden wings and tailplane were burnt off. The fuselage has not distorted in any way and is basically in quite good shape. It has been cleaned up and painted to preserve it. There are a couple of small spots of surface rust but it does not look serious. The question I have is what tests etc can I carry out to check if the metal is still ok. I will do a dye penetrant test on all the welds and we have decided to get a small section tested by a metallurgist but at this point I dont know what sort of tests I need to look at or if they will be of any benefit.
Does anyone who has experience with 4130 fuselages and metal work in general got some ideas.

Many thanks for any help

Rgds Steve

Back