• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

503 Rehab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bone1099

I hava an M Squared breese 2 Equipped with a Rotax 503 DCDI. Just clicked over 300 hrs have always run Penzoil. Partner wants to overhaul as per Rotax. I did not, so we came to an understanding. I do all the maintenance which has been lacking lately due to my workload and lack of any of us flying the aircraft. So its time for the annual anyways. Checked it out and hopped over to the local airport where i temporarily borrowed some hangar space. Lots to do this time. Upgrading to hydraulic brakes and lighter wheels mounted to 8.00-6 turf tires. But for the engine i decided to tear into it just a bit to have a look. pulled the exhaust and carbs to inspect cylinders and pistons All looked great. Pulled cylinder heads because i have had a nagging bit of oil leaking from the rear cylinder. figured this would be a good time to de-carb as it has never been done. so I stripped everything down to the crankcase, picked poked and scraped till everything looked as good as new. Decided to throw in some new rings just for good measure still have all crosshatching from manufacture no evidence of corrosion on or in anything. So new rings went in with no honing or boring. New cyl base gaskets new head gaskets new intake and exhaust gaskets. All bottom end stuff felt good and looked good so i decided to leave it alone. Carbs got some well needed attention in cleaning and a few worn parts. Now all is back together with new oil line, filter, fuel lines and filter. Probably did some other misc stuff that i forgot to mention but oh well. Very excited will probably start it for break in procedure by the weekend. :grin:

Back