• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Do you think most accidents/incidents happen mainly by pilot error?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Here are four youtube videos of crashes/incidents mostly due by pilot mistake.
I consider this videos to be instructive, no gore. The only video with casualties is the third one, the crash is not recorded on the film.

Paraglider collapses close to the ground

In this particular case I don´t blame the pilot for the accident. He just has the bad luck to land in a vortex.
Youtube says the pilot fully recovered after three months.

Wind gust makes bad land to a hanglider.

Hangliders don´t stall like paragliders but still they have their tricks too.
The pilot is learning to fly and he loses the control too early while landing. In this case I don´t blame the pilot of being too confident he is just inexperienced.
Luckily he didn´t get hurt.

C17 maneuvering to close to the ground

They were too close to the ground to recover.

Airliner pilot being stupid

Luckily at the very last moment the pilot decides to land in an alternative airport.
If you are flying solo you are free to practice crosswind landings but with passengers you should
be far more cautious otherwise the passengers are going to have, at least, a heart attack.

Of course there are many accidents in were the airplane becomes a death trap and there´s nothing to blame to the crew, all the contrary.
Air France Flight 4590 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some other accidents are the consequence of both human and mechanical errors.
Air France Flight 447 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spanair Flight 5022 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my personal opinion aviation accidents are caused mainly by overconfident experienced pilots or either inexperienced pilots.
In this particular cases there´s very little room to improve aviation safety by just improving the flying qualities of the airplane.

How can we avoid accidents caused by human errors?
Maybe more training or more sophisticated autopilots?

Oriol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back