• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cold Weather Gluing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jman

Site Developer
Well, the move to the new house is just about complete and I'm about to turn my attention to my workshop. I've got a 3.5 car garage that will soon become my airplane factory. The problem I am running into is that the Garage is of rough lumber construction and is un-insulated. At 10 below, which is common here in upstate NY, this can be a problem not only for comfort but for the integrity of my glue joints.

Three questions:

1. I'm looking at building a work table heater consisting of a thermostatically controlled electric heater blowing hot air into a box made of sheet Styrofoam that will be placed over the work table whenever a part is glued up. Does this sound feasible? Is there a more efficient this could be done?

2 How long must the glue joints remain at room temp before they can be allowed to go to the prevailing sub-freezing temps. Assuming T-88 or the West system.

3. Can finished wood parts be stored in subfreezing temps without damage as long as they are dry? If the part is cured, does humidity still play much of a part?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Back