• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flying a 2 stroke.. Noob needs some advice..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellyUpFish

I am hopefully going to pick up an Airbike next week. It is equipped with a Rotax 503.

I've got very little (less than 10 hours) of flight time behind a 2 stroke. All the rest is behind a 4 stroke or in front of turbines.

I'm just trying to get some tips from those who have some time behind them..

So far I've gathered:

A.) Most failures come due to seizure due to lack of lubrication.
B.) Lubrication happens at high throttle settings - keep the power up.
C.) Decents are best done with the power at idle and at best glide, rather than power at idle with high airspeeds.
D.) Most seizures occur while pulling the power back from high settings too abruptly.

That's basically all I've gotten so far.

Anyone care to share? :)

Thanks!

Back