• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Problem starting my 503

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy JP

Hello all, I'm new to the group and would like to give you a brief resume of who I am and what I fly. I live in canada and have been flying a Quad City Challenger II powered by a Rotax 503.
This engine have run flawlessly for the past 7 yearswithout even blinking.
Last year, the Challenger stayed in the hangar as I was away from home for work. This spring, I figured I would enjoy my little machine and did a good maintenance on it wich consist of:
- Spark plugs changed
- All fuel lines changed for new ones (I use the blue lines)
- Fuel filter changed
- Exaust ball joint lubricated and exaust springs changed and safety wired and siliconed.
- New battery installed

Filled up the tank, filled the bowls (I have removed the primer bulb for an electric pump) and she fired right up on first crank. Took the baby up for a nice one hour flight, landed and put her back in the hanger.

One week later, I went back to the hanger wanting to take another flight, put the enrichner on, the battery cranked the engine like crazy, not a spark, no explosion,,,,,,,,,nothing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just the smell of gas through the exaust pipe. removed the spark plugs and they were wet (as expected) tried again a couple of time and niet, nothing. As if there was NO ignition or whatsoever. What went wrong??? just a week later and nothing?
I intend to start looking at the front end "the switch" as I have a right, left, on and start position. I found that when I apply the starter, it hesitates a bit before making full contact.

What could be the culprit? Thanks guys for any help you may provide cause' I'm totally lost.

Jean-Paul Roy

Back