• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My ideal Homebuilt (more questions than answers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

I've been thinking for some time what kind of plane I want for the missions I'd most likely fly, here's what I've come up with:

I'd like a 4 seater in which the rear seats can be easily removed and when removed, would leave at least 6'6" of floor space between the back of the front seats and the rear bulkhead. Since I'd like to to some mild bush flying, it has to be STOL capable. I'd also like the option of adding amphib floats at some point in the future. Since I'm a working class guy, cost will be a big issue, so that rules out engines/components that are on the pricy side. I don't care too much what it's made out of as long as it's light. Performance-wise, I'd like for it to have a useful load of at least 1200 lbs and a cruise of 115 kts.

Here's what I've come up with to meet that spec: A high wing, tube and fabric plane powered by twin Aerovee engines. What I'm picturing in my head would look like a scaled down Parternavia P.68 or even a Helio Twin Courier.

Am I smoking cheap crack or is a plane like this possible? Is there a better option that what I've thought up? keep in mind that cost is the biggest concern. I'm looking for the most bang for the least buck.

Back