• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Trying to decide which engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusionfab

Hey everyone new to the site as well as ultralights. I am looking to build one this summer and would like to keep it as light as possible. I would like to stay below 254 lbs and I weigh about 180lbs. I have a few engines but am not sure if they would be applicable or maybe something better should be sought out.
I would like to go with Rotax 277 because of the single cylinder and 20 lbs less than 377 but have been reading on here their habit of extreme vibrating and shaking, as well as the amount of power limits to certain weather conditions. So I have been looking into the 377 and have located one. But before I buy just wanted to be sure.

The motors I have.
1. A Kohler 18hp Opposed twin (4 stroke)
2. Briggs 14hp Vtwin (4 stroke)

Something is telling me these motors may be too small but I just wanted to be sure. Otherwise I will purchase the 377 and start rebuilding it. Or are there any other options I should consider? I am seeing a few KT100's but may seem small.

Thanks

Back