• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gas Springs, does anyone have experience with them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarJar

I just got the plans for a Roger Mann/Ragwing Aviation "Stork". On the prototypes, Roger used motorcycle forks, (one telescoping column on each side), to replicate the long shock absorbing member used on the original Storks' landing gears.
Then I noticed that Grainger sells gas springs, some of which are rated at 550 lbs., which would seem about perfect for this application. They weigh only 3 lbs., compared to one of the motorcycle telescoping units, which weight somewhere near 10 pounds.
I've never used a gas shock, except in opening the trunk of a car, and was hoping someone might know a little more about these.
I noticed they also had small ones which seems like they could be used for tailwheels, in place of heavy steal springs. Have we been overlooking these, as a way to provide smoother shock absorbsion , with lighter weight? I remember my freind put some gas shocks on his Baja Bug, and he could drive right over a curb, at considerable speed, and all you felt was a little "thump" almost like it was nothing. I couldn't believe it.
Here's a link to the Grainger page that has the 550 lb "gas spring".Search Gas Springs and Dampers - 550 - Supplies - Grainger Industrial Supply
It seems like they could easily be used on smaller slower planes, by making a tripod arangement for each gear, and using one of these gas springs, for one the tripod legs. They come in both compression and tension versions. And no, I'm not selling them...I'm just interested in them.

Back