• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Too cold in the garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally

The standard disclaimer applies, try this at your own risk!

It is too cold in the garage this week and I really wanted to keep doing something on my Pitts. All I could think of today was a small sheet metal panel around my fuel shut-off that I had made a couple of days ago and needed some finish on it.

SO: I brought it in the house (wife is at work, I work afternoons) and sanded it with 400 wet. Then alodined it using a garbage bag to protect the sink from stains. After it was rinsed and dry, I am thinking, it sure would be nice if I could at least spray some primer (rattle-can) on this but it is 25 degrees F in the garage and colder outside.

AH-HA: our kitchen has a Jenn-Air stove top. Let's see, a couple of sheets from today's newspaper that was handy on the kitchen table to protect the top, turn on the exhaust fan, instant "paint booth" sorta.

I set the part near the opening and it worked pretty well. Very little paint smell in the house and the overspray went right out the vent! Very little overspray even on the newspaper. I may be onto something here...

Wally, looking foreward to warmer weather near Memphis

Back