• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

HELP me get my Quicksilver MX II running please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corywmiller

Hi everyone,
Hopefully someone can help me here. I have a Quicksilver MX II with a Rotax 503 inverted engine with correct ngk spark plugs gapped to .19 and a single Bing 54 carb. There is a thrust kit installed allowing for 66" prop. I have owned plane for about 3 weeks. It has started fine although when cold it runs a bit rough right at start for a few seconds then smooths out and runs fine from then on. So I look at my spark plugs from time to time and noticed that engine is running a bit rich by the carbon build up on the plugs (plugs are two weeks old and flew for about 5 hrs). I took off carb disassembled it, cleaned all of jets and everything else and noticed that jets are leaner then factory recommends. Main jet was 165 if I remember right. Floats float well and float bracket seems to be set right. I put carb back on engine and can't get it to start for more then a couple secs and it runs real rough like a very low idle. If I remove prop it starts and runs fine. I am getting spark on both plugs, one plug has less of spark then other one but engine started fine before the carb clean. Any idea why it won't start with prop mounted? Sometimes fuel comes out of carb vent tube but it really could be from the shaking of engine. I have tried to set float bracket to let less fuel into bowl but had to keep tapping primer to keep engine running (without prop). That told me that I needed to adjust bracket so fuel level is higher in float bowl and now I have it about right. When engine is running without the prop, it doesnt spit fuel at all. Some say without the prop attached the engine will rev way up unless the idler screw is adjusted but my engine didnt do that at all. It idled like it did before carb clean with prop load. Please help!!

Thanks for your time everyone!!! -Cory

Back