• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Initial Carburator settings for Mikuni 34 's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caribeanbound

I live on a 44 foot sailboat near West Palm Beach
It is finally running. Well, sortuv. I have my Kawasaki 440 LC engine all wired up and ready for initial running tests. after filling the water, oil, and fuel tanks I sprayed a little oil into the plug holes before turning it over. I also primed the oil line from the tank to the injection pump. It turned over and started right up. It will only run at high trottle and promptly quits if I let off. it also surges if held wide open. It appears to be running very rich and spitting fuel out of the carbs. I tried adjusting the idle air screws, removing the air cleaners and checking that the slide was closed, etc.I also tried lowering the needle to the top notch..My initial settings and specs are as follows:
Mikuni 34's
-Main jet E2
-Idle jet 30
- Slide 2.5
-Needle 6FL14 set at two down from top slot

The slide is completely closed On stop with about 1/4 inch open at front due to design.The slide set screws are completely backed off so as not to raise the slide.Throttle cable is just tight without lifting slide. The enrichment/choke is closed/off( levers up).If I lower the choke levers the engine also quits even at full throttle. The idle air screw is two turns open. Two more High jets came with the carbs. They are 220 and 240.
Does any one have a suggestion or a link to an initial set up instructions? I have down loaded the Mikuni manual with all of the jets available and the theory behind it all. I can use this to fine tune the beast once I get it running. I should also have no trouble setting the idle air screws once it is running somewhat at idle. I just need hints on how to set it up to keep it running to get to that point. The jets and needles came with the new carbs from J-Bird. I also get quite a bit of smoke out the exhaust. The compression is around 150 on both cylinders. I also tightned up the exhaust and intake after I had it warmed up a bit. They were suprisingly lose.
OK guys, Have at it. What do you think?

Back