• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax 447 Ultralight Airplane Rebuild (56k Beware) - Top End Teardown, pg1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsteensen

Been working this deal for a while, got it for a steal. ($355) I am a non-mechanic so this will be a huge learning project for me. I'll work on this while i work on my Ultralight aircraft plans. I've sort of moved away from the A-Plane, because its consistantly overweight, and moved towards scratch building a Kolb Ultrastar. I've already printed the operators, installation, maintenance, parts catalog, and repair manuals. It just arrived today. It survived the journey, though it wasn't bagged, so I am going to be picking packing peanuts from its inner depths for the whole rebuild I'm sure. This came with the engine, carb, and exhaust manifold. I will need a exhaust system, pulse fuel pump (plus electric fuel pump as a backup), redrive and prop to complete the system. If the crankshaft is good on it, I will be golden for the rebuild, and it will be well worth the money. If not...well, a new crankshaft from Rotax is $1,100, so I'll just keep this one for parts. it does turn by (slowly) using the recoil starter, though I won't try to actually start it until post-rebuild. I'm pretty sure this is a provision 4 engine. How can I tell exactly what I have, and what I need to update to bring it up to current Rotax safety standards? Pictures immediately after unpacking:
IMGP4776.jpg
IMGP4777.jpg
IMGP4778.jpg
IMGP4779.jpg
IMGP4780.jpg
IMGP4781.jpg
IMGP4782.jpg
IMGP4783.jpg
IMGP4784.jpg
IMGP4785.jpg
IMGP4786.jpg
IMGP4787.jpg
IMGP4788.jpg
IMGP4789.jpg
IMGP4790.jpg
IMGP4791.jpg
IMGP4792.jpg
IMGP4793.jpg
IMGP4794.jpg
IMGP4795.jpg
IMGP4796.jpg
IMGP4797.jpg
IMGP4798.jpg
IMGP4799.jpg
I'll update as I go. First off, I'm going to rebuild the carb as a practice run, just have to order a rebuild kit from California Power Systems, plus a new main jet for my altitude and average temperatures.

Last edited:
Back