• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Riblett mean lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
I couldn't find a thread on here about this already... don't recall if we've discussed it.

Does anyone know how Riblett actually calculated his GA-x mean lines? The GA-4 and GA-6 seem to match their description of being a NACA a=0.5 mean line. For the GA-2 and GA-3, however, he added 0.3% and 0.2% leading edge droop, respectively. Unfortunately, this droop means that interpolating mean lines gives odd results, and extrapolating (in my case to lower camber) gives really odd results. What I'd like to do is scale the NACA a=0.5 mean line directly, and then apply the nose droop myself (targetting ~13° leading edge slope, or equivalently a 0.25% chord mean line y-value of 0.060). But since I've been unable to reverse Riblett's process in this manner (that is, go from the GA-4 to the GA-2 by some transformation), I feel like I'm missing something.

So, what exactly does it mean arithmetically, in Riblett's context, to droop the leading edge x%?

Back