• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tail volume in horizontal/elevator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topspeed100

I have been adjusting the tail to a new wing and I am a bit confused still.

I read somewhere that Cri Cri has 0.7 efficiency.

I looked up the Cri cri site and printed the 3-views and I got 0.765

...and using the allowed 10-15% for all movin unit it became 0.84-0.88.

John Ronzcs says Sabre has 0.2 and we discovered the PIK-26 had 0.27 ( which has been said to be very touchy ).

Compared to Cri Cri my design has only 14 cm less arm and 0.08 m2 more area in elevator..thing is that Cri Cri has just 3.1 m2 wing and mine has 4.54 m2.

My craft has exactly 0.5 tail volume, but also 5,6 degs of sweep..lot less than Sabre, but I guess it helps in a tapered wing ( ratio 0.6 ) ?

I wonder how much the Junkers flaps in Cri Cri need that compensating tail volume ?

Is 0.5 good or should I seek a bigger number ?

Raymer says 0.5 is the right figure for a homebuilt.

Back