• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2.5 subaru, what size turbo for aircraft use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slociviccoupe

So everyone knows that the stock subaru automotive turbo is inadequate of the continuous duty use in an aircraft, but what size compressor, turbine, and what ar housings would be suited for a 2.5 subaru? Ive read everything from a 60-1 from garrett or precision, to the gt28rs, the gt35r, the gt42, and a few others. Noticed few have used turbonetics turbo's i prefer to stay away from them as they are unreliable and not a true dual ball bearing turbo. Most likely going to stick to garrett, airesearch, precision, or borg warner.
things like stainless steel exhaust housings, water/oil cooled center cartridges, billet compressor wheels, and inconel exhaust wheels. there should be a turbo that will be sized correctly for aircraft use. I can look at compressor maps and size one but i don't know what altitude and lower density air does and how it affects the compressor map.

here is the last honda my friend david and I built making some really good hp. turbo is a borg warner sc372. 72mm compressor on a 2.0 liter honda @35 psi of boost. Tuned by CMB tuning out of central florida.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjMBolbo1UA
I know how to make good power with boost and fuel, but now have to learn and scale it back for continuous duty and for altitude correction.

just in need of some insight and hopefully get the sizing of the turbo right for an ej25 sohc subaru. and about only 10psi of boost for takeoff and boost in cruise at altitude for compensation. boost will be regulated by an electronic boost controller through the ecu and an external wastegate.

Back