• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How good are the interpolated foils really ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topspeed100

I have spent most yesterday and today redefining the wing and foil for my project.

Since I wanted the wing to be simple I have 75% long aileron starting from the root..no flaps but a campered foil.

Wing has forward sweep 4 degs at the mac 25%.

I just created a foil that tells L/D is >100 still at 12 degs AoA CL max is 2.06 at re 2 000 000.

I am very plesed with these 2D figures compared to any existing foil hitherto.

Would it be wise to test this foil with a 1/3 scale model ? I mean the foil in 1/6 scale showed 1/4 of the L/D othervise close to original..Cd rose a lot..is this typical ?

I have a haunch I could create a foil that resembles the intented 1:1 situation better in 1/6 scale. Would that be wise to make a different foil for the small model knowing the nature of the viscosity ??

1/3 scale showed only 1/2 worse L/D.

Last edited:
Back