• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

3D panel method flow analysis software

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranester

While looking for simpler alternatives against fully-featured CFD solver (which can be quite daunting), I came across this nice little package:

Apame 3D panel method

It's a simpler flow solver, similar to one in XFLR5 plane designer but apparently better suited for high Re numbers. The import format list quite short at the time, accepting only NX (Unigraphics, I-Deas) and NASTRAN files; fortunately, there is an open source meshing tool GMSH that does output NX files (.UNV). There are few other things to consider:

The solver requires attached flow, no blunt (or open) trailing edges allowed;
The solver is only for sub-sonic flow;
The solver does not calculate skin friction, although boundary layer solver is planned for the future.

While the coefficients aren't totally accurate for the mentioned reasons, I imagine they would give a good ballpark estimate in most cases, and the visual representation of the pressure distribution should be quite useful.

Back