• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum tube spar? negative stager design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzypeterson

Hey guys, you are the experts and I have some questions. Looking at the data it seems that aluminum tube is the strongest spar. Number one I am wondering why it isn't used in more airplanes?

I would like to make a trainer that runs on less than 60 horse.. It's ok if it's extremely extremely slow but I want it to be big and comfortable for 2 big people and look like a seriously strong brick ****house. A friend has access to some very nice CNC stuff and built all the ribs for his monocoupe in 30 minutes so I am thinking I will be able to have him CNC up some ribs then slide them on an aluminum tube spar.. figure out drag and compression struts inside the wing and my wing is done in record time.

Now as for the design I have in my head. It's an enclosed biplane with a negative stagger to make it as easy to get into as a cessna 150. kind of like the waco cabin biplane.

On something like this is it the same airfoil on both wings? is the dihedral and washout the same for top and bottom? Would the clark Y be a good airfoil and maybe just half the wing area of a cub on top and half on the bottom? Are there any considerations I should have about doing a stager with the top wing in front? How do I learn about bracing the wings of a biplane like that and what is acceptable? I haven't ever messed with 4 wings only 2.

Keep in mind I do not care in the least about speed performance.. the cabin has got to be really big.. it will have to be able to handle a good cross wind so i'm thinking it will need a decent amount of wing loading. I imagine higher wing loading increases cross wind performance correct or no?

Well that should be enough to get me thinking more about it for now.

Thanks for your expert advice.

Back