• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Modifying a stits playboy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98ciHemi

Right now I am looking at acquiring an incomplete stits playboy project.

If I purchased it. I would like to modify it attain a faster and more efficient cruise speed, for which the original strut supported wood/fabric design is not known for being that good for. Basically, I would like to do most of what was done to the original Vans RV-1 (a modified playboy). Replace the wood/fabric wing with a strutless aluminum wing, streamline the cowl, and change to a bubble canopy.

My main concern is with the wing- I mean more than anything else that is what hold you airborne. So, in order to avoid making to many mistakes, I feel it would probably be easiest to modify an existing wing and spar design, namely the one from the RV-3. (which as I understand it was loosely based on the playboy in the first place) Since I usually work on things with four wheels where getting airborne is considered undesirable, I was wondering if what I am talking about seems generally acceptable and not just stupid.

-Walt

Back