• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thoughts on simple, two-axis control aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you consider building and flying a two-axis control aircraft?

• Yes

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
***Please vote in the related poll above.***

I have long been a fan of simple aircraft designed to get amateur pilots into the air safely and cheaply. Two-axis controls are one solution tried over the years to simplify construction and reduce the risk of stalls and spins. The Henri Mignet's tandem wing designs took a novel approach with both fans and detractors, and Steve Wood's Sky Pup ultralight is a great example of completely conventional two-axis controls, much like an overgrown free-flight model airplane. Of course, the most famous and most successful example of two-axis contrals is Fred Weick's Ercoupe--Ercoupes remain in demand even today, especially the lighter models which may be flown by a U.S. sport pilot.

14698-thoughts-simple-two-axis-control-aircraft-6092809820_4c4f97b4bf.jpg
14699-thoughts-simple-two-axis-control-aircraft-skypup.gif
14700-thoughts-simple-two-axis-control-aircraft-ercoupe415c.jpg

I wonder how many here would be interested in a simple, easy-to-build-and-fly, two-axis homebuilt aircraft sold as a kit? I have in mind four-stroke power (probably VW for low cost), laser-cut-plywood-and-fabric construction like a big model airplane (perhaps with metal spars) and tricycle gear. Exact configuration is TBD, but my initial concept is a shoulder-wing design with a forward-hinged, one-piece canopy and wing leading edges, something like a Praga E-114 Air Baby but with more dihedral, no ailerons, the canopy hinged the other way and tricycle gear.

14701-thoughts-simple-two-axis-control-aircraft-praga-e-114m-hb-uaf-private-pardubice-ped-lkpd.jpg

Pros of the two-axis design are simplified wing folding or removal, safe handling and easy adaptability for disabled pilots. In terms of control layout, I think the Sky Pup's fore-and-aft-only stick for pitch and conventional rudder pedals for yaw would be the way to go, with an option for a yoke instead of rudder pedals for pilots without the use of their legs or anyone who prefers that system. Cons include the possible need for wing flaps,spoilers or perhap a belly-mounted drag flap for glide control (can't sideslip without ailerons) and the fact that that system will simply turn off some pilots.

Thoughts? Don't worry, I have my fireproof underpants on.

Cheers,

Matthew

Attachments

• 6092809820_4c4f97b4bf.jpg
    6092809820_4c4f97b4bf.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 4,694
  • skypup.gif
    skypup.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 5,006
  • Ercoupe415C.jpg
    Ercoupe415C.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 5,575