• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax 582 Fuel Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtwilkins

September 14, 2011
Re: Rotax 582 fuel starvation issues
I have a 1995 Rans S-14 with a 582 Gray Head (65HP). Engine is water cooled. Has oil injection, electric fuel pump and std mechanical fuel pump. Has dual 9 gallon poly fuel tanks. The 582 has 311 hours TTSN. No leaks, good compression and strong performance until recent fuel issues.
Engine has been experiencing fuel starvation issues. Aircraft runs perfectly during takeoff and makes a full circuit in the pattern, then the engine dies on base or final, usually as throttle is reduced.
Cannot get the engine to duplicate the issue on the ground due to coolant temp rising to redline without airflow through the radiator.
Originally thought the issue was the primer. Original primer was leaking small quantity of gas when priming. Replaced primer with NEW. Also replaced the fuel filter. Has filters for each tank. They are see through filter and no sediment showing. After allowing the old filters to dry, I could blow a fine white powder out of the old filter.
When the engine died with the bad primer, I could not get it restarted on the ground. I primed it until gas was coming out of the carbs. It seemed to be flooded. One theory was that the air leakage around the primer allowed it carbs to flood out.
Primer was connected to the pressure side of the electric fuel pump. It was suggested that I move it to the non-pressure side of the fuel pump to avoid back pressure to the primer, so I did that.
The electric fuel pump is usually only used during take off and landing as a security backup. A test pilot turned off the electric fuel pump after takeoff and used only the mechanical Rotax pump and was able to complete 4 full circuits without any issues.
After changing the primer to the non-pressure side, the plane was flown today and the electronic fuel pump was left on in the pattern. Two engine off landings occurred with the engine starving for fuel on either base or final. Upon landing, two quick pumps with the primer allowed the engine to start and run flawlessly on the ground.
All of the fuel lines are in good condition. None are soft and do not allow the lines to collapse during flight. The electric fuel pump has a fuel pressure regulator and it is set at 4#. I have also changed spark plugs and the old ones showed ideal ignition conditions.
The boots on the carbs are good with no signs of deterioration.
Next steps may be to replace the electric fuel pump and also the mechanical fuel pump. The 9 gallon fuel tanks have gas caps with the metal external vent lines that are U shaped. I have checked them and they flow freely.
Do you have any suggestions or recommendations that you can offer to remedy this issue.

Back