• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

EASA goes on war against N-registered aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karoliina.t.salminen

This sort of interests me because I am a co-owner of a N-registered aircraft in EU. In case someone would be interested what is happening on the other side of the Pond:

Read more here: http://www.iaopa.eu/mediaServlet/f_1001723_current.html

One interesting quote from the text, which very much describes what is happening:
In the case of the Instrument Rating, EASA plans to require the applicant to study for and pass all seven written exams and undergo flight training which will probably cost tens of thousands of euros even for pilots who've been flying safely for decades on FAA IRs.

This is the very reason to have an N-registered aircraft for many, including our N-registered plane, because EASA IR simply is unobtainium for many financially because for example in Finland, integrated ATPL (airline transport pilot) route is the only way to get IR, this is why it has been attractive to get IR training and rating in USA.

Would be interesting to know if FAA going to do something for that EASA is going to make FAA licenses illegal in Europe? I hope they will do and a bilateral agreement can be reached before this comes in effect. This obviously also affects US citizens living in Europe temporarily or permanently.

This rule may also affect adversely those pilots who have US medicals but can not obtain EASA medicals due to much stricter requirements in EASA (many conditions that are considered safe in USA by assessing the risk, are disqualifying in EASA and there is no special issuance in EASA by definition, just plain disqualification in the place of special issuance). Fortunately, I don't have any medical problem (so far) and I am a (happy?) owner of EASA medical - knock knock.

So the idea for N-registered experimental may be also be out of the question in the not so distant future. Also Europe is not very attractive market for aircraft now due to high fuel expenses, and even if high efficiency would somewhat help on that, it apparently may be even less so in the future, because many potential customers are going to be excluded by this new regulation (many IR pilots just happen to have FAA IR because it is obtainable whereas the EASA one is not really so unless you have deep pockets full of Euros).

Back