• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Nissan RB series Engines.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leighton

so, allright. ive been lurking on this board for a while now, gathering interest in the whole scene, and i see most here are going for the Corvair (someone please tell me what the hell this engine is?) the lycomings and continentals, or a V8 in some form.

I love V8's. always have. but heres something else i love...

The Straight 6.

i dont understand why there arent more people looking at going down this road. as far as i understand airplanes need lots of torque right? torque is the 6's forte. both my current cars are straight 6's (one is 3ltr, fuel injected blah blah, the other is an old red 202 (ask strange days or any of the other Australian boys about these engines)) and i rate them real high.

My holden calais came out with a Nissan engine in it, namely the RB30e, (the RB family is what powers the Nissan Skylines) which is a SOHC injected 3ltr, putting out 115kw (roughly 150hp) and about 250odd NM's of torque. adding a turbocharger to this equation (my next project) brings it up to 200+ hp and 400nm(ish) of torque. keep in mind thats a relatively small engine, making a truck load of power and torque and its understressed as all the days (redline is about 5,500rpm i think). Then theres people in the world that take the RB30e block, and whack the RB25de head on it (2.5ltr twin cam motor) and instantly get a nice clean 200hp N/A engine. (doing the head swap also lowers compression, so theres extra horses to be had there)

anyway, where im going with this is how viable an engine option would these things be. i realise that theres issues with reliablity and blah blah blah, but if you built one with nice strong internals you'd have a reasonably light, powerful and narrow motor, something the byplane boys would surely appreciate.

forget prop redrive systems and whatnot for a second here, i know that this is another can of worms entirely, and theres already a whole bunch of threads on them already. for now im just wondering about the engine itself.

im interested in seeing a decent discussion on these things, the only reason i picked the Nissan 6 is because thats what im most familiar with. i suppose over yonder in the US the Ford 4ltr would be more common? theres plenty a hp to be had there too.

Leighton.

Back