• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

tail volume coefficient?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantR

I read that homebuilts usually have a horizontal tail volume of .5 and GA aircraft like 172s have a .7 volume. The vertical stab volumes were listed as .04 for both. Are these numbers accurate?

I am building a r/c plane and trying to figure out if I am doing the tail volume calculations correctly.

The distance from the CG of the airplane to the Aerodynamic center of the Horizontal Stab is 16 inches. The wing area is 288 Square inches the Wing chord is 8 inches

I saw this formula (H Stab area * distance between CG and H stab center) / (Wing area * Wing Chord.)

To get a .7 coefficient for my plane, the H stab seems to be excessively big. 100 sq inches is 34% of the wing area. Does that seem right? I usually just size the H stab 18% of the wing area which is 52 sq inches but now that seems to small!

Back