• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fast Forward to the 1930's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccg

I have spent a few months enjoying this forum and developing a concept design that captures my interest. Before I invest in detail design I would appreciate some feedback. It is pretty easy to make revisions or change tack at this stage, if necessary.

Obviously, my concept design is not cutting edge. My interest is in wood aircraft as I have always liked these aircraft and think wood construction is within my capability. A number of my reference books and reports are from the 30’s and 40’s when wooden aircraft were mainstream, hence the title to my post.

I have avoided straying too far from the conventional or being too ambitious. Even so, I think there is still a big challenge in coming up with something that works. I don’t underestimate the task of homebuilding and want to have a fair chance of success with construction and the flying qualities of the ultimate product. If I can keep to the design targets, particularly weight, I think the aircraft would have quite acceptable performance. That will be mostly due to selection of an excellent engine rather than an exceptional airframe.

Some favourite monoplanes include the Corby Starlet, Chilton Monoplane & Druine Turbulent. You may see influences from each of these in my concept design. A demountable wing was one of my starting parameters, as I want to be able to construct and store the plane in a limited space. The climate where I live is excellent for preservation of wooden aircraft as it is dry and temperate. However, I would not consider leaving it out in the weather for any length of time.

I don’t have my ego invested in this project as it is a hobby and purely for pleasure. So you do not have to be delicate with comments. I can take it. Hopefully I am insane enough to follow this through to completion.

The Corella is a native white cockatoo, mostly distinguished as a bit of a nuisance. Seems appropriate! I was out walking with my wife when we ran across a flock shortly after I started thinking about this project. There seems to be a fair tradition of naming aircraft after birds and I have not run across another with this title. I thought I might be setting myself up for a fall if I went with something like ‘Starlet’. However, in the case of John Corby’s design, its not too far from the truth.

Graeme

Attachments

• GA-2.pdf
    34.2 KB · Views: 362
  • GA-1.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 452
Back