• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Importance of Damping in Aircraft Landing Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccg

It appears that very few light / homebuilt aircraft have damping in their landing gear. I assume that a landing impact is damped to some extent by the wing and airframe displacing air as the aircraft bounces. In addition, some landing systems lose energy via tyre scrub.

I am considering pneumatic springing in a homebuilt of around 950 lbs AUW. There would be a modest amount of friction and no tyre scrub.

My question is whether it is worth the extra complexity and weight to provide damping? For my application, the most practical form of damping would likely be two (suitably selected) auto type shock absorbers. This would provide effective damping, at a fair weight penalty. I could envisage some lighter but less effective alternatives, (eg friction disks or pneumatic cylinder & orifice) that might be desirable if a small amount of damping is adequate.

How essential is landing gear damping? If the weight penalty comprised, say, two auto shocks (total 14 lbs), would the extra weight be justified by the improvement to handling on take-off and landing or is a lack of damping quite acceptable in such a light plane?

Regards,
Graeme

Back