• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Disaster averted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgwendling

Well, I started to assemble my fuselage this last weekend and I ran into what could have been a major problem.
On Saturday I had laid my full size plans on the work bench, covered it with plastic and installed all of my blocks for my jig. I cut my pieces that the plans called for and that night I was going to glue the whole mess together.
I was just going to mix up the glue but I had this nagging feeling that something wasn't right. Since the wood lays right on the plans it was easy to check the placement of all of the pieces. Just for the heck of it I measured the distance between my spars on my completed wings, and the attach points on the fuselage. It didn't measure even close to the same. It was suppose to but it didn't. :wail: 3/8" difference. I checked the rib print because that determined the spacing for the spars. The rib print and the fuselage print didn't agree. If I woud have continued with the fusalage, I would have been in a world of hurt.:(
I had to wait until Monday to get it straightened out. Wasted a perfectly good weekend doing house chores.:mad: Turns out I got the wrong model print for the fuselage. I recieved the Avenger print and not the Avenger V print. The difference is the wing location and chord!:rolleyes:
Well, I went through all of my other prints to make sure that everything is up to snuff and no problems there.:D It just annoys me that I couldn't work on my plane.:wail:
I know, there will be more days like that. I am glad that I caught it before it went too far. I would have hated to try and move two carrythru spars and all of the crap that is glued to them.

Thanks for reading my rant.:D

Back