+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bruce Kings Bk-1

Bruce Kings Bk-1

Is anyone looking to build Bruce Kings Bk-1?
    It's a nice plane.
    He has a nice website with lots of construction photos

Steve

Re: Bruce Kings Bk-1

Hi,
    I like the looks of it too. Respectable performance.

It would probably be a good project for someone wanting a sheet metal plane for not a lot of $$. Could be a fun build.
    Wally

I sent an e-mail to Bruce about the BK-1 and its status and he provided some very insightful information to me. Impressed the heck out of me too, very knowledgeable and upfront about everything, I’ll certainly be in contact with him again later on. However, in a nutshell the plans aren’t ready to be released to the public yet due to some unexpected delays to ensure everything is correct and laid out correctly. Bruce is building a second BK-1, this one a trigear, as well as having 9 other experienced homebuilders doing plans built BK-1’s too. Other job and family responsibilities are apparently involved with all of them, just like with us. At this point I’m not bothered because I’ll be doing another build first to get some experience, but I fully intend to keep my eyes on the BK-1’s progress as it impresses the heck out of me.
    JK

Bruce King is doing a very good job detailing the building of every part of his plane with lots of pictures. I saw him at the Old Kingbury fly in but didn't get to meet him.
    I did see him get in the BK-1 and depart.

Steve

A very nice looking airplane indeed. He needs to keep the oringinal blown canopy. The wing root fairings and cowl give it charm.
    We the unwilling led by the unqualified have been doing the impossible now for so long with so little we now feel it's possible to do anything with nothing.

http://www.azairframe.com/index.html

Bruce is easily approachable. Talked to him briefly at Oshkosh where he flew his BK1 flyer in. Here is one of many pics I took of it. My brother thought it was one of the most impressive planes there. So did I. He flew it all the way from San Antonio, TX. Big Bruce gives us all hope that it's not too late to build your dream. He started late, and did an outstanding job.

I saw the plane at Oshkosh as well. It is definately smaller than I expected, but looked very well built. My favorite part of his website is reading the trips that he has taken in his bird (both this one, and his earlier hummelbird). It is really inspirational.
    Jon McDonald
    Building Sonex #1287

I found Bruce's website when looking for info on the Hummelbird. The BK-1 definitely looks like a plane I would like to make my first aircraft. May not end up that way, but I too will be keeping an eye out for his plans.

I've read some negatives regarding the hummelbird's useful load and its 1/2 VW engine. I'm a big guy at 225LBS 6 feet tall. The BK-1 seems to fit guys like me. I doubt I'd ever be able to fit in a hummelbird.

Does anyone know when Bruce's plans will be available to the public?

+ Reply to Thread