+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CH701 AVEX rivets

CH701 AVEX rivets

Hello fellow tin men. I was just looking at the assembly instructions for my 701 rudder starter kit and discovered that ZENITH calls for a special head for the rivet puller and that the rivets are countersinks and the special head shapes them into domed heads, I guess I had missed this before. I have searched around the forum and their site and I can't find much about this. Is this a common practice or something that Mr. Heintz came up with? Should I use another kind of rivet Cherry N and just use the puller that I have? I love the plane and the construction method, I just feel this is a little funky? If you wanted domed rivets why not use them to begin with. Anyways just looking to see if anybody else had an issue with this, I'm new at this building thing.
    Thanks
    Walt
    STOL 701 builder

Re: CH701 AVEX rivets

search the zenith site and I believe you will find that they will machine the riveter head for you. The cost is somewhere in the 5-10 dollar range.

Thanks Dave, I will search the site again and maybe email them.
    Walt

You can just order their riveter with the custom machined heads.

http://www.zenithair.com/kit/tools/index.html

http://www.zenithair.com/kit-data/tools.htm

Riveter Heads (changeable Nose Bushing piece): Zenith Aircraft Company has developed a unique process for setting blind rivets, which requires custom rivet heads. The process uses flush-type rivets, where the flush rivet head is formed into a domed-head by the riveting process. This provides an permanent tight finish to all set rivets. To accomplish this, the riveter heads must be ground (machined) with a concave dome (see diagram). Only 1/8" (A4) and 5/32" (A5) rivets are required to assemble the kit
    Jim

------------------------------------------------
    Express 2000FT (hopeful - Again)

looking at that diagram, why didn't they just use standard Dome head rivets? with a standard rivet puller head?
    Always treat your kite like you woman....
    Enter her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back!

They say its 'tighter'. Looking at it, I could see why, though I havent actually tested it. I do know that domed head rivets used with a flat rivet head usually results in a flattened rivet anyway, so maybe having a concaved head is not a bad idea no matter which one is used.
    Jim

------------------------------------------------
    Express 2000FT (hopeful - Again)

Quote Originally Posted by CriCriOz View Post
    looking at that diagram, why didn't they just use standard Dome head rivets? with a standard rivet puller head?
    I think it had something to do with better waterproofing.

Well that was my question, why not just use a dome rivet? I am sure with all the Zenairs flying that this is safe. I just don't really like the idea of reshaping a rivet that was obviously not meant to be driven that way. With that said, I ordered their machined rivet heads for the a4 and a5 avex rivets. They are $12 each. If it wasn't for their track record and hundereds of planes flying I would not use this method. Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

I think their premise is that it's better waterproofing than a dome rivet.

Besides, aren't domed rivets driven rivets rather than pop rivets? If that's the case, then it answers your question. Popping is obviously easier than driving. And standard pop rivets are notorious for setting loosely sometimes. Besides being structurally less sound, that promotes moisture contamination. That was apparently the reasoning behind Zenith's redesign.
    Last edited by Rhino; May 21st, 2007 at 12:00 PM.

The idea I think is to get a tight fit in the hole, the tapered part of the rivet head is forced into the hole and the rest of the ( tapered ) head is then curved down and pushed against the top of the skin, this effectively results in the rivet being wedged tightly in the hole as well as the head being pressed down on the top of the skin.
    Whereas an ordinary domed rivet does not seal the top of the hole so effectively because the stem just under the head will not be such a tight fit in the hole.

we used to use huck and cherry lock rivets they both had a locking collar that was set just as the rivet was drawn to it's correct grip, these air guns were expensiveand somewhat compilcated, if youdidn't have it set up perfect the locking collar could come loose and potentialy let the center draw pin vibrate out , this leaves the rivet with little shear strength ,and a loose nail running around the inside of your aircraft,I think reforming the rivet head is more for getting a better bite in the pin , I THINK!
    reguards , tom gahan

I have the machined heads, and plan to use the Avex rivets on a wing project I’m working on.

I have pulled several, and the process seems to work as advertised!

The Avex rivets are also allot less expensive than the conventional Cherry rivets.

There are instructions available, on how to machine your own heads as well.

I think they are posted on a Yahoo Zenith builder’s group?

Colin

http://www.jumprunenterprises.com

I took took my standard rivet head and ground it out with my dremmel tool. It forms a great domed head on the rivet.

Lock-down on Rivets?
    Only 1/8" (A4) and 5/32" (A5) rivets are required to assemble the kit
    The Zenith 701 rivets can only be bought from zenith at .08 cents each? (imported from England). I looked for other AVEX suppliers but can't seem to find A4 or A5 in the suppliers catalog? Plus I would need testing documents with them... any idea where I can purchase this documented rivet? Scratch building Zenith 701 in Hammond, Louisiana trtying to save a penny or two. 6 thousand rivets add up quickly.
    Marty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast