+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WM #1

Registered User WonderousMountain's Avatar

WM #1

For those who don't already know I'm on about my sixth paper design so far. Each one has given me a better idea of aircraft and design.

Trying to put together a material and price list this time so the project can be viewed more from a construction standpoint.
    Aluminum is the material I'm most comfortable with, though I've worked in wood frequently and fiberglass once or twice.

Performance:

Stall near 24Knots
    Single place
    mid/shoulder wing
    Cantilever
    enclosed cabin
    retractable gear
    Rollover protection
    pusher engine
    candy bar & tips

Currently looking at Mono-spar wing construction-flaps. 20 foot members are commonly available and have been working from the assumption of using one with removable tips.
    Space frame fuselage is more comfortable for me than stressed skin. Tail configuration is currently H. The challenges are many, but it will come together one piece at a time-literally I can't afford more than one piece most of the time....

I'll get you all some pictures as soon as I can. Try to keep the topic focused if you can.

Gratitude,

Wonderous Mountain

Re: WM #1

Quote Originally Posted by WonderousMountain View Post
    candy bar & tips
    Hersheys? Nestles? dark chocolate? milk chocolate?

Aircraft design is an exacting science... C'mon man, get with the program!

WM #1-nestle-crunch.jpgThe only one that makes a satisfying sound when you make a controlled crash!

Crunch and airplanes = $$$$$ or lots o' pain

Why retracts?

-Dana

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
    Fisher FP-404
    ParaFan PPG
    Kolb Ultrastar

For a plane to fly it must be beautiful.

Guess there's some french hidden in my German ancestry.

I can't say they'll be any performance gain, and I can't even find a place to put them that doesn't say.
    "The designer thought of me last"

Maybe they'll break and I can put normal gear on after that...

Wonderous Mountain

RJW

Quote Originally Posted by WonderousMountain View Post
    For a plane to fly it must be beautiful.

Guess there's some french hidden in my German ancestry.

I can't say they'll be any performance gain, and I can't even find a place to put them that doesn't say.
    "The designer thought of me last"

Maybe they'll break and I can put normal gear on after that...

Wonderous Mountain
    Even a clumsy, slow-flying stork (the bird, not the airplane) pulls up his wheels in flight.

WM #1-marabou-stork-1.jpg

It’s a beauty thing.

Metal good. I like metal. Other stuff not good. Metal good.

Rob

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adelaide

With the exception of the 24 knot stall speed, you seem to have described the Vampire, with retracts.

WM #1-twin-boom-pusher.jpg This was my version of a very similar plane. Wheels retract backward, mains into the boom and nose into the cabin floor. Out board wings either fold or removable.

On the right track?
    Fly safe.

Cheers, Doug

The vampire remains inspiration for lightplane enthusiasts.

I made a wood dowel 1/12(ish) scale model of the fuselage sides. 1/12 scale is hard to work in and the inaccuracies made analysis a little challenging. Today I lost the model... That's alright, the next one will be larger and potentially less easy to lose. Learned a little bit, anyways felt good to make something.

Considering using 1/8 aluminum plate between my top and bottom Fuselage sides with lightening holes. Any planes use this technique before?

The picture is a quick reproduction of yesterday's work with the light blue 1/8 inch plate and the members sized to 1.5" in. Length was 12 feet and the circles represent locations of spar carrythrough. Several things are being changed including extending to ~14' for more tail arm, and resizing of members.

Wonderous MountainWM #1-plane-sketch.jpg

Considering placing the fuel tank in the spar. Would it take much planning or time to do this. A 4" round spar can carry over a gallon every two feet. Tanks will be sized after engine fuel burn is measured/guessed.

Wonderous Mountain

Having a tough time deciding on some of the internal cross supports. I can save around 20 feet of tube with a weight of about five pounds by going to cable. Of course the cable will have some weight too. For those of you who have built either way can you give me some prose and cons, or maybe tell a little bit of your experience? Found a local aluminum supplier and excited to buy my first piece soon!

Trial of Gorilla glue TM* fast drying type II water resistant on home depot 1"by3" 8feet dimensional lumber for non-spar longeron use. Pieces will be discarded after test. Clear* pine cabinet grade lumber available. Aluminum is scarce in these parts. Results available after glue sets in 24 hours.

For your wood model GG is no problem, I contacted them about long term, age strength.... They were helpfull with less than solid numbers.... 40% to 70% after 10-15 years depending on a variaty of factors. "Well I guess its not fit for homebuilt aircraft" ---- "OH! We would Never want you tou use GG products on a plane!!! ..... I said Thank you for your help.

But it does have some great handy properties.... Darn.

Cedar is very light and stiff.... Many arrow shafts are made from it for traditional archery. Clear and strait = perfect.

We've discussed GG here before, search for it. Bottom line is it's brittle, doesn't soak into the wood, and is unsuitable for aircraft use.

-Dana

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    Fisher FP-404
    ParaFan PPG
    Kolb Ultrastar

Considering placing the fuel tank in the spar. Would it take much planning or time to do this. A 4" round spar can carry over a gallon every two feet. Tanks will be sized after engine fuel burn is measured/guessed.
    WM, not to be crude but if you do that, I highly recommend making sure that your dental records are up to date and readily accessible.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast