+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4 Cylinder Continental GPU's,..Two of them..And Pretty Cheap.!!

4 Cylinder Continental GPU's,..Two of them..And Pretty Cheap,...NOW WITH PICTURES..!

Hi folks,... ..Yes,...... I DO HAVE more PICS to send to your e-mail address.

These are commonly called PE-90's.110 HP at 2600 RPM.These are 314 Cu.In. These are the lil brother of the six cylinder Continental GPU known as the PE-150. (The cylinders of these two PE motors do interchange) They have a Flanged crankshaft,... So,... no custom hub or adapter is needed for A/C use. These have provision for dual mags.(the supplied mag is an impulse mag) they have good compression and turn over smoothly by hand,so there's no concern about being seized or rusted stuck. I have been told that the cylinder base bolt pattern is the same as the O-470 and the O-520 Continental A/C motors,so more power/displacement is possible.
    I have no verifyable history on these two other than what I was told,... that they were both running when removed from the Government Surplus Air conditioning units they were installed in.

Price:
    $800.00 This one is missing the carb and the Generator.
    $900.00 This one has the Carb and Gen.

I was all set to make use of these on my Hombuilt plane,...until the Government decided that the only planes they'd now let me fly,... would be the "Ultralites"... So,... these are now too heavy for my use..

If you'd rather Talk than type I'm at 541-466-5119. Oregon.

Thanks for reading,...Guys,......... ...Dave..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 Cylinder Continental GPU's,..Two of them..And Pretty Cheap.!!-100_0693.jpg   4 Cylinder Continental GPU's,..Two of them..And Pretty Cheap.!!-100_0694.jpg   4 Cylinder Continental GPU's,..Two of them..And Pretty Cheap.!!-100_0696.jpg  

Last edited by wilga12; April 23rd, 2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: To add pictures

Re: 4 Cylinder Continental GPU's,..Two of them..And Pretty Cheap.!!

Do you know what the weight is?

Yeah BMCJ,...... My best guess is 320 lbs give or take 20 lbs. The uncertainty comes from the scale that I have for use,... I'm not totally sold on it's supreme accuracy...

Thanks,................. Dave..

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, it's a little heavy for my needs.

Does anybody have an accurate figure of what an O-320 Lycoming weights...?? These may be on the heavy side..?? I'm not sure.

One thing I am sure of is,... it's just a matter of balance,...Just look at the GB's,... the old time racing planes...A tiny plane,one pilot and a big ole P and W 985,... on the other side of the cg... No that's a "Purpose built plane"....WoW

In real rough numbers, typical aviation engines get about 1 HP for evey 2 cubic inches, and weigh maybe 1 pound per cubic inch. Based on that, an O-200 would weigh about 200 lbs and put out 100 HP. An O-320 would weigh about 320 lbs and put out 160 HP. Using that very rough equation, I'd say your engine weighs about the right amount for the displacement, but is derated on the HP. Perhaps your engine is capable of more power than it is rated at.

Again, that relationship is a VERY ROUGH GENERALIZATION.

Yes,...They are capable of more,...There are higher Compression ratio pistons available.. These are in addition to the info above,... about swapping O-470 and O-520 jugs.

I forgot to mention that I have the name and PH# of two different outfits,here in the states that specialize in these Continental GPU's,...and have in stock,many,many parts,...at much less than the "Usual A/C pricing" that we are all accustomed to,... Besides that, the "Gator Boat" guys down south have a lot of leads on parts and pieces...as well as being an excellent source of knowledge...

.............dr.. or wilga12

All well and good, but I need an engine in the 100-150 lb range... I might even be able to go to 200 lbs, but that would be significantly higher than my target weight. Good luck selling yours... I'm sure someone out there might have a use for it.

OK,... bmcj,... Best of luck on your project..!

And Thanks for reading my ad.........dr..

Lightbulb Re: 4 Cylinder Continental GPU's,..Two of them..And Pretty Cheap.!!

the gpu's from what I understand will accept 470 jugs with out mods but the block must be bored oversize to accept 520 jugs.Also they nead a gear installed to accept 2 mags.

Yes, you'll need another mag gear, and the flanged stub shaft that the gear rotates on, then carefully drill the oil hole from the stub shaft hole to the main oil gallery on that side-just don't drill too far,like I did, or you'll have to tap and plug the end of the hole that sees daylight.

Of course you have to put on the rear accesory cover and a locating fixture for the stub shaft--it has a portion that goes into the block to locate it precisely--Luckily stub shaft & gear are same as the other side. I may still have my drilling fixture---Prop flange has one hole 5 or 10deg offset--I made me an aluminum adapter with Lycoming bolt pattern for some props I had on hand. Also put on Bosch Fuel Inj system--have a few pix of that.. Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    In real rough numbers, typical aviation engines get about 1 HP for evey 2 cubic inches, and weigh maybe 1 pound per cubic inch. Based on that, an O-200 would weigh about 200 lbs and put out 100 HP. An O-320 would weigh about 320 lbs and put out 160 HP. Using that very rough equation, I'd say your engine weighs about the right amount for the displacement, but is derated on the HP. Perhaps your engine is capable of more power than it is rated at.

Again, that relationship is a VERY ROUGH GENERALIZATION.
    The O-320 A and E series weigh 244 lbs dry. The B and D series are 255 lb. dry. Much better than 2 lb. per HP. Won't include the starter or alternator. Refer to the Type Certificate Data Sheets on the FAA website for such information. The O-320 is TCDS E-274.

Dan

I did sell these guys......About two months ago.. I'm real sorry that I forgot to return to this forum to clear the board...My appologies...

Dave Red.. / wilga12

+ Reply to Thread