+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lancair 360 Project

Lancair 360 Project

For Sale - Lancair 360 project, selling price reduced to 10,500. USD. Most parts to complete. Has flown and a total of 21 hours. For more info contact me through here or call me at 573 888 7334. Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lancair 360 Project-dscn0469.jpg   Lancair 360 Project-dscn0472.jpg   Lancair 360 Project-dscn0484.jpg  

Lancair 360 Project-dscn0473.jpg   Lancair 360 Project-dscn0491.jpg   Lancair 360 Project-dscn0478.jpg  

Lancair 360 Project-dscn0483.jpg   Lancair 360 Project-dscn0490.jpg   Lancair 360 Project-dscn0485.jpg  

Lancair 360 Project-dscn0486.jpg   Lancair 360 Project-dscn0492.jpg   Lancair 360 Project-dscn0493.jpg  

Last edited by Skypilot99; July 9th, 2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Changed Price

Re: Lancair 360 Project

Is there a price?

Why was it disassembled?
    My avatar is a Thurston TA16 Seafire, not sure who built it, but if my project ends up as nice as this , I'll be wrapped.

Ouch. That had to suck. http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/Acciden...2012120000.pdf Hope this bird finds a good home and gets back in the air! Best wishes....

Quote Originally Posted by fly2kads View Post
    Ouch. That had to suck. http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/Acciden...2012120000.pdf Hope this bird finds a good home and gets back in the air! Best wishes....
    Ouch indeed. Bob, glad to hear you made it through that OK. Surprised to see that it came through so intact. That's a testament to the skill of the builder but I don't know how many people would be willing to purchase and fly a composite aircraft with that sort of history. I hate to be a wet blanket in that regard but just being honest. It may be a tough sell with that history.
    "Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant."- Orion

Sport Aviation Association Member #2976

Quote Originally Posted by SVSUSteve View Post
    Ouch indeed. Bob, glad to hear you made it through that OK. Surprised to see that it came through so intact. That's a testament to the skill of the builder but I don't know how many people would be willing to purchase and fly a composite aircraft with that sort of history. I hate to be a wet blanket in that regard but just being honest. It may be a tough sell with that history.
    All it takes is one. This may be a great find for the right builder... From the accident description, it doesn't sound like it may have had much damage. Planes that land on roads or motor homes or even gear-up usually sustain less damage than one would have thought. For example, the Bede that I filmed recently had a gear-up landing -- sliding 1,200 ft. down the runway at KCMA on Friday and was back in the air the next Tuesday. It does have an exceptional set of builders however. Check it out; here is the Tuesday flight.

https://vimeo.com/42343091

Blue skies,

Tom

The lancair 360 project was disassembled to check the spar. The spar that is in the airframe does have a small crack at the very bottom side at the left out board end. Can probably still be used with a little fiberglass repair. Either way, the project does come with a new spar just in case. The engine I guess was sold before I got it. The left wing has been rebuilt, just need the wing tip finished. Both flaps are good, right aileron is good but the left aileron needs to be rebuilt and the new skins to do that are included. Bill.

For example, the Bede that I filmed recently had a gear-up landing -- sliding 1,200 ft. down the runway at KCMA on Friday and was back in the air the next Tuesday
    Metal is also a ton more resistant to damage and less prone to "hidden" damage in a hard landing or gear up scenario than composites are. It's one of the main drawbacks of composites (at least as we currently use them in homebuilding).

It's registered as a Lancair 320.... I thought the 360 models had the big stab. Which model is this?

To the best of my knowledge the 320 and 360 had the same tail and the Mark II mod is the bigger tail, which is usually fitted to 360's.
    Kennis vermenigvuldig je door het te delen.
    (You multiply knowledge by dividing it)

Quote Originally Posted by SVSUSteve View Post
    Metal is also a ton more resistant to damage and less prone to "hidden" damage in a hard landing or gear up scenario than composites are. It's one of the main drawbacks of composites (at least as we currently use them in homebuilding).
    Having built and owned both types, I think that the damage resistance is about the same for a properly build composite plane. And it is a lot easier to repair in normal situations. I think that it is a matter of experience. A lot of the old timers are biased against composites because they don't understand them. But I really don't want to start an argument about this on this thread. Thanks

I think that the damage resistance is about the same for a properly build composite plane
    There are two issues at work here:
    1. What you are discussing when you say "damage".
    2. Whether you're talking about tolerance in the sense of the idea of whether you are focusing on using the plane again or sacrificing the aircraft so as to protect the occupants.

A lot of the old timers are biased against composites because they don't understand them.
    Agreed, although I'll point out that I'm a 31 year old "newbie" to the hobby. Part of my issue is simply that composites have a lot of potential but that we as homebuilders are poorly positioned to use them to even the middle of the road of their capabilities due to costs and equipment constraints.

But I really don't want to start an argument about this on this thread. Thanks
    No intent to start an argument. Just a friendly discourse but understood.

[QUOTE=Skypilot99;136936]For Sale - Lancair 360 project, selling price reduced to 12,500. USD. Most parts to complete, needs engine, mount. prop and spinner and some glass repair. Has flown and a total of 21 hours. For more info contact me through here or call me at 573 888 7334. Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Skypilot99 View Post
    For Sale - Lancair 360 project, selling price reduced to 10,500. USD. Most parts to complete. Has flown and a total of 21 hours. For more info contact me through here or call me at 573 888 7334. Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Skypilot99 View Post
    For Sale - Lancair 360 project, selling price reduced to 12,500. USD. Most parts to complete, needs engine, mount. prop and spinner and some glass repair. Has flown and a total of 21 hours. For more info contact me through here or call me at 573 888 7334. Bill.
    Did the price go up?

+ Reply to Thread