+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insurance. What do you have? What do I need? Where should I get it?

Insurance. What do you have? What do I need? Where should I get it?

Well, still awaiting some paperwork to make it through, but hoping to purchase my first experimental in less than a months time (Aero Falcon XP).

I am planning on taking it for its first flight at a local airport, and they want me to have insurance for it. I thought I remembered seeing if you were an AOPA member you could get yearly insurance for something like $65 for a year, but I could be completely wrong here.

Just wondering how many of you who own an experimental class airplane have insurance, and who you reccomend, and if possible, what I should expect to pay.

Re: Insurance. What do you have? What do I need? Where should I get it?

Many (most?) airports require insurance for aircraft based there, and even if it's not required it's a good idea... like when you get the freak wind gust just as you're taxiing past the parked Learjet.

I doubt you can get insurance for $65. You can get liability insurance for an ultralight or LSA from USUA or ASC for about $400 including the organization dues.

-Dana

A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.

Is that $400 yearly?

Yes

If it's an experimental the best deal is usually through the EAA's programs. Go to their website for more information. And shop around, who has the best deal changes from time to time and depends a LOT on the details of the aircraft type and pilot qualifications. All the insurers advertise in one or more of the aviation mags so you can also look them up there. Ignore the advertising claims, get a specific quote for you and your aircraft.

You'd be a fool not to have some sort of insurance. I don't know of any airports around me that allow uninsured pilots/aircraft owners to fly from a public or private airport. I doubt any airport owner is going to want to be held liable for damages or injuries because he let an uninsured person fly from his property, etc.

I'm not versed in homebuilt insurance, but I do know you will not find any insurance for only $65.oo. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about . I pay around $675 per year for my C-150. This covers hull, plus I'm covered for any accidental damages on the ground etc, and up to I think $100K per person for injuries sustained.

My Davis DA2A is about $700/year with AUA. I have about 300 hours total time, and at the time, no time in the davis.
    www.PortableFuelSystems.com
    Makers of the Alcohol Separation System
    Use our A-S-S to fix your gas!

Actually you don't need any insurance at all to fly within the US system. While this may not be prudent, it is not a requirement of the FAA. Say you take off from our own strip or an airport where they don't care about insurance and decide to fly into KBIX (a fictitious big bureaucratic airport), you will never hear the tower say to Aircraft on Short Final, "give policy number of your insurance". Nor will anyone come around checking when you land. The requirement is usually set by the owner of the airport where you are based and take off who fears liability.

[QUOTE=Nickathome;97195]You'd be a fool not to have some sort of insurance. I don't know of any airports around me that allow uninsured pilots/aircraft owners to fly from a public or private airport. I doubt any airport owner is going to want to be held liable for damages or injuries because he let an uninsured person fly from his property, etc.

I know one thing, if I owned an airport, or even just a piece of property that people fly out of, you bet I'd require insurance. No insurance, then fly someplace else.

Well Nick, what if it was your very own private airport? And you had John Travolta like $$$? It is not a simple question but yes I do have insurance on my current plane and I did arrange for insurance for my prior 6 place homebuilt although I had to go to a foreign country to find it. Don't assume that you need insurance from a US company. The US has a number of trade treaties that requires the acceptance of goods and services from other countries.

+ Reply to Thread