• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why do engine related failures cause fatal crashes in fixed wing aircraft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timstertimster

I was cruising through old posts and read about an accident that apparently was due to... Well, just read it here: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...0185-sad-news-bud-warren-down.html#post226426

My question is: why wouldn't an experienced pilot be able to recover from such an engine failure and sail down to the ground? I always thought part of the advantage of fixed wing is the ability to get to ground level mostly in one piece without engine power. My main theory is the smoke in the cabin resulting in panicked coughing and loss of mental focus to complete an emergency landing.

I've got very little experience, but as someone who is extremely safety conscious, I'd be interested in finding out why circumstances like this cause experienced pilots to stall the plane.

Back