+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Night VFR and IFR Requirements

Night VFR and IFR Requirements

I want to equip my airplane originally for night VFR, and gradually move up to be IFR equipped, so I have a few questions along those lines.

1) What are the requirements equipment wise for night VFR? I know there are strobes and nav beacons required, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. There seem to be different options available to satisfy the requirements.

2) I don't have to have my aircraft 'IFR certified' if it's an experimental, do I?

3) What are the minimum equipment requirements to fly my plane IFR?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

When's the last time you had your biannual? I know each time I have one, these questions are usually asked and as I have one coming up by the end of this month, I have the basic equipment lists handy.

VFR day: Gas gauge, oil pressure, oil temp., seat belts and shoulder straps, ELT, altimeter, compass, airspeed indicator and tachometer.

VFR night: All the above plus anti-collision lighting, position lights, energy source and spare fuses. The latter is specified as one complete set or three of each kind.

These are the basics and assume that you'll fly outside of controlled airspaces since there is no mention of communications nor any advanced instrumentation.

Oops, I lied - I don't have the IFR minimums in front of me. Hopefully someone else will input those for you.

No biannual. Still a student with a yet-to-be-started construction project.

No attitude indicator required, huh? I would have thought that would be required for night flying.

I was more interested in the positioning of lights/strobes. I understand there are several options.

Day VFR

Altimeter
    TAchometer
    Oil pressure
    Manifold pressure
    Airspeed Ind
    Temp gauge if liquid cooled
    Oil pressure
    Fuel quantity indicator
    Landing gear position indicators (if w/ retractable gear)
    Anti-collision light system
    Mag compass
    ELT
    Safety belts

Night VFR requirements on top of Day VFR

Fuse's
    Landing light (if for hire)
    Anti collision lights
    Position lights
    Source of electricity

IFR flight required for both day/night VFR

Generator/alternator
    Rate of turn indicator
    Attitude indicator
    Ball
    Clock w/ sweeping second hand or digital readout
    Altimeter (pressure sensitive)
    Radio service's applicable to the service's used
    Directional gyro
    DME if above FL240 and using VOR's

On top of that.. All aircraft must be able to navigate via VOR's to be IFR certified, soo if you don't have atleast one and only have a IFR certified GPS, you still won't get your plane certifed for IFR.
    Last edited by BD5builder; August 21st, 2005 at 01:58 PM.
    BD-5B
    Serial # 1066
    N#- Officially reserved as N384TW

Sitting on the gear.. waiting to install the control system.

Originally posted by BD5builder
    ........you still won't get your plane certifed for IFR.
    Thanks, but is an experimental required to be "certified" for IFR, and/or do you have to have "certified" IFR equipment to fly IFR in an experimental? I know an experimental can fly with non-TSO'd equipment, but I don't know to what extent that applies to IFR equipment.

As much as my school drills the regs in our brains, there is nothing to my knowledge, that says that a certain equipment has to be TSO'd. And when you get ready to have your experimental examined, you should notify the DAR that you would like the aircraft to be certified for IFR, as i throw's in a whole nother sort of inspections that must be done. Such as

Transponder inspected every 24 calender months
    Pitot/Static is also every 24 calender months (if memory serve's me correctly)
    You have to have a VOR reciever check ever 30 days (there's a whole nother acronym for this)

But as far as i have read and interpreted the regs. When the dar comes to inspect the plane, tell him what your specifically going to use with the plane (ie. Day/Night VFR/IFR ). And as far as the equipment being TSO'd. The way i understand it, is if it pass's the inspections, it doesn't matter. BUT if i were to planning on going up in the soup, i'd buy the best i could get for the $$$ i had. I've been up in the soup twice already, and have had both nav's fail and a vacuum failure and this was all within 2 weeks of each other (Both of them in Different 172's), and its definately NOT fun... but failure's are prone, the TSO'd instruments/radio's are just manufactured to more stringent tolerances and tests.
    BD-5B
    Serial # 1066
    N#- Officially reserved as N384TW

Sitting on the gear.. waiting to install the control system.

Re: Night VFR and IFR Requirements

toweym posted a good blurb from EAA.

IFR instruments

Re: Night VFR and IFR Requirements

I don't have admin rights here, so maybe an admin or moderator can merge the threads.

+ Reply to Thread