• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aircraft Safety Data

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Othman

If anyone is interested in researching the safety history of a particular aircraft model before purchasing, I recommend going to the NTSB Aviation Accident Database:

http://www2.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

There you can search the NTSB accident records for any kind of aircraft and many other search criteria.

Hint: Most modern aircraft are structurally and mechanically reliable; however, if you really pay attention to the data you can see certain problems that are common to the particular aircraft model. For example an aircraft may be too much for average pilots to handle, and you will see that the majority of the accidents occurred as a result of pilot skill level (lacking) during landing.

Check out this link to see some example data that I have compiled on the Vans RV series aircraft for year 2003 (didn’t mean to pick on any aircraft in particular, RV’s are just popular).

http://members.rogers.com/othman-aviation/Vans RV accidents 2003.htm

There are two excel sheets there: the first is a graphical summary, and the second contains more detail on the accidents. I categorized the root cause of each accident into some general groups and plotted the number of occurrences per group.

This is only an example, and I hope it can help spark some of your own research into the safety records of your favorite aircraft. You never know, you may just put the “pieces of the puzzle together” for some problematic aircraft and help make it safer.

Back