• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tail Rotor Assy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kelly

Below is a Modle of the tail Rotor assembly i made this last summer .
Of special intrest is the large nuts in RED ...
they are the long nuts used to hold thredded Rod togather... 1/2" thredded rod to be exact.
they are welded to the plate ( light blue ) and 2 square nuts are drilled out ( threds removed)
for the long bolt that is hooked to the blade clamps to slide through.. sort'a as a guide
and to be the major support for the twisting force applied to the rotor blades..
No berrings are used in the attachment of the blades to the rotor hub ( light blue ) just the striength of the long threds on the bolts holds the blades on .
another bolt was welded to the blade clamp to act as the turning arm for the pitch control of each blade ... a 1/4" Rod end berring was used to attach this bolt to the pitch adjustment plate below. Ni-lock nuts on each side are the adjustment of the pitch of each blade.
. the Pitch control plate had a berring bolted to it by means of a retaining ring ( large washer with 4 holes drilled in it )
this berring has a brass incert I drove into the center to alow it to slide up and down without scuffing up the steel shaft.
the 2" square Alum tube is in grey and would be the tail boom of the helicopter .
but for now it acts as a test holder for the unit.
I have spun this unit up to as fast as my 1/2" drill would take it ... probly 250 rpm max. and I was supprized at the thrust it
puts out ....

it seams quite funtional and strong , but for the Main rotor i plan on doing much the same except beefing it up alot ....
and useing 3/4" long nuts welded on the main plate with another plate welded over the top of that ...to sandwitch the unit togather .
Useing the bolt and threds this way as the pivot points for the blades seams to work fine ... but its hard to say how it would stand up to rigurious useage .

I just thought Someone might be interested in how I built my tail rotor assembly ... it has never been used in flight so go from there ...
I will say it is a bunch easier to build it this way than many other ways i have seen
...weather its better or not , remains to be proven <grin>
so if you build one like this , use your own judgment ! ....

C'Ya !

Bob.....

Attachments

• tail rotorassy.png
    tail rotorassy.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 949
Back